Welcome back to school and welcome to Year 1's page!
We are split into 2 classes - Pelicans (with Mrs Lawrence, Miss Bale, Miss Lunn and Mrs Powell) and Yellow Wagtails (with Miss West, Miss Ball and Mrs Reading).
Welcome to Spring 1! We enjoyed a very successful Christmas half term exploring the Nativity and animals, using 'The Animal's Christmas'. We are very much looking forward to what this half term has in store!
Below, please find some key information for this half term:
Morning/afternoon drops offs and pick ups:
In Y1, our school day will now run from 9:00 - 3:00. Children should enter and leave through the KS1 gate beside the BACS centre. Parents may come onto the school playground but we ask that face masks are worn at all times. We also need to ensure that parents keep a safe distance from any other children and adults. Therefore, we encourage that children come into classrooms and cloakrooms by themselves.
School equipment needed from home:
Children may continue to bring a WM bookbag to school (not rucksacks). Please remember, children should not be bringing pencil cases, toys, cards etc to school. Please ensure children have an outdoor coat, wellies and PE kit in school at all times.
Class dojo remains an integral tool as a day to day communication line for staff and pupils with parents. We will always aim to respond as soon as possible; with full time teaching commitments, we appreciate your patience and understanding. We will use this platform as a way of sharing work and activities that the children have been doing and you may also wish to share weekly homework tasks or learning the children have completed at home, through your child's portfolio.
Your child will have come home with a Times Table Rock Stars/Numbots log in at the beginning of the year. This can be found in their reading journals. I have included some information below to help you support your children on the game:
- The times tables set are 2s, 5s and 10s for all children (this is in line with what we cover in Year 1)
- The game will include both multiplication and division as it is important the children know both operations
-Please only play the 'Garage' games (Highlighted below), as this is the game controlled by the teacher, and will therefore only include 2s, 5s and 10s
Please continue reading with your child, we cannot stress how important reading is for them. Minimum 3 reads per week!
In Y1 reading becomes more of a comprehension. Here are some tips to help them become confident in comprehension work (very important for SATs in Year 2);
- Making predictions at the start of a new book/ chapter. Make sure they are able to explain their answer.
- Getting them to discuss what has just happened. Recall is very important. Remembering names, what has happened, where they are, what they are doing etc...
- General questioning of the vocabulary. The language will start to get trickier so discussing it with them will really help their understanding. Getting them to use a dictionary to look words up is really good too. One they are learning how to use a dictionary correctly (this is a requirement for the curriculum) and two they are learning to do their own research.
Miss West & Mrs Lawrence
https:// mathsframe.co.uk/en/ resources/category/22/ most-popular
https://www.twinkl.co.uk/ go/videos-animations- stories-twinkl-go
https:// www.literacyshed.com/ home.html
https:// thereadingrealm.co.uk/ 2020/03/12/free-reading- realm-home-learning-pack- nature-and-animals
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/ recipes/collection/kids- cooking
https:// www.bbcgoodfood.com/ recipes/collection/no- cook-kidshttps:// www.bbcgoodfood.com/ recipes/collection/kids- cooking
https:// www.bbcgoodfood.com/ recipes/collection/no- cook-kids
https://www.britishscienceweek.or g/plan-your-activities/ activity-packs/